Selsun Blue is a brand of OTC dandruff shampoo that was formerly owned by Abbott Laboratories but is now under the company Sanofi. The name Selsun is derived from getting “sel” and “su” from selenium sulfide and adding “n” at the end.
One of their products is Selsun Blue Dandruff Shampoo which is made for normal to oily hair. Let us find out below if this shampoo is really effective in fighting dandruff.
Review of: Selsun Blue Dandruff Shampoo
Category: Anti-Dandruff Shampoo Reviews
What We Like
- It removes dandruff but leaves hair and scalp healthy.
- It can be used daily.
- It is recommended by doctors.
- It does not leave any residue, so hair is totally clean after every wash.
- It helps prevent dandruff from coming back.
- Pets with yeast problems can also use this.
- It can be used on color-treated hair.
- You will see results after a few washes.
- It helps eliminate head and back acne.
What We Don’t Like
- It can be drying to the skin.
- It’s hard to rinse.
- The shampoo’s blue color may leave some stain but can be removed by thorough washing.
- The scent the shampoo leaves after washing is overwhelming.
- Not safe for pregnant women.
- For normal to oily hair
- Helps relieve itching and flaking caused by seborrheic dermatitis and dandruff
- Safe for daily use
- Formulated to target the source of dandruff.
- Must be used at least two times a week
- For external use only
- Active ingredient: Selenium Sulfide 1%
- Inactive ingredients: Water, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Ammonium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Fragrance, Titanium Dioxide, Cocamide Dea, DMDM Hydantoin, Citric Acid, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Chloride, FD&C Blue 1
Selsun Blue Dandruff Shampoo is specifically formulated for normal to oily hair. It also provides dandruff relief for color treated hair without stripping away the hair color. Since its main dandruff fighting ingredient is selenium sulfide, it aids in eliminating the symptoms of not only dandruff but also of seborrheic dermatitis. Selsun Blue Dandruff Shampoo is also recommended by both veterinarians and physicians.
To see results, you must use this twice a week but it is safe to wash your hair with it daily, and with regular use, it helps prevent dandruff from coming back. Aside from seborrheic dermatitis and dandruff, this also provides relief for head and back acne.
Finally, this shampoo won’t leave any residue on your hair as long as you rinse thoroughly.
Neutrogena Daily Control 2 In 1 Dandruff Shampoo
Like Selsun Blue Dandruff Shampoo, Neutrogena Daily Control also helps relieve the symptoms of dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis. Both of the shampoos are safe for color-treated hair and effective in removing dandruff but leaves hair healthy and manageable and gentle enough to be used daily. For best results, it is also recommended that you wash your hair with it at least twice weekly. Just like Selsun Blue Dandruff Shampoo, this shampoo is also not safe for pregnant women; however, they are similarly recommended by dermatologists for dandruff relief.
As for their differences, the active ingredient of Neutrogena Daily Control is pyrithione zinc, while Selsun Blue Dandruff Shampoo’s active ingredient is selenium sulfide. Neutrogena Daily Control does not dry the skin because it contains vitamin E, on the other hand, Selsun Blue Dandruff Shampoo may be drying for some. Unlike Selsun Blue Dandruff Shampoo, Neutrogena Daily Control does not have a strong chemical scent. In fact, it leaves a fresh smelling scent to your hair after every wash. Neutrogena Daily Control is a two-in-one shampoo, so it means it contains conditioner, whereas, Selsun blue does not.
The Selsun Blue Dandruff Shampoo will help relieve you of stubborn dandruff symptoms. Aside from that, this product also helps alleviate symptoms of seborrheic dermatitis and, if you are looking for a strong formulation that is also safe for daily use, Selsun Blue Dandruff Shampoo is the one for you. This anti-dandruff shampoo is also doctor-recommended, so you can be sure of its efficacy. Because it’s active ingredient is selenium sulfide, this can also aid in relieving acne on the back and head; however, we recommend consulting your doctor first before using it for that purpose. This formulation is made for normal to oily hair, but you should be good even if you have color-treated hair.
In spite of its drawbacks, we still recommend Selsun Blue Dandruff Shampoo because the numerous pros outweigh the cons. So, if you are looking for a dandruff shampoo that you can use regularly, this might be the one you are looking for.